If you’re ready for the easiest ways to maintain your oral health in 2023, read on.
How Can You Maintain Your Oral Health In 2023?
It is always a good idea to prioritize taking care of your oral health. The start of a new year is a great opportunity to set some new goals for maintaining your dental hygiene. To help you get started, here are some tips for keeping your mouth healthy in 2023:
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene
- Visit Your Dentist At Least Twice A Year
- Consider Sealants, Which Are A Great Protective Treatment
Practice Good Oral Hygiene
Most dental care starts with you. You can prevent a lot of dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, and gingivitis by taking care of your teeth every day. Brushing your teeth, flossing, and using mouthwash are all crucial parts of maintaining proper dental hygiene. However, it is possible to damage your teeth with forceful brushing. This can wear down the tooth enamel. To avoid this, we have the following tips for good daily care:
- If you want to make sure you’re brushing your teeth correctly, buy an electric toothbrush with soft bristles. An electric toothbrush with built-in timers can help you brush for the recommended two minutes and sensors that let you know if you are brushing too hard.
- To have healthy teeth, brush them with fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride is a helpful mineral that strengthens teeth and helps prevent cavities.
- By flossing between your teeth, you remove bacteria and plaque in areas that your toothbrush can’t reach, so don’t forget to floss.
- Mouthwash can help clean areas of your mouth that brushing and flossing can miss. To use it effectively, swish the liquid around in your mouth for up to a minute.
These steps are particularly important when you eat sugary or acidic foods. These types of foods wear out the outer surface of your teeth and increase the risk of tooth decay.
Visit Your Dentist At Least Twice A Year
It is important to have regular dental exams and professional cleanings to maintain good oral health. These routine appointments allow your dentist to check for potential dental problems. If there are any dental issues, your dentist can detect them early on. During your cleaning, a dental hygienist will remove any plaque and tartar, leaving your teeth polished. During your routine appointment, dental examinations offered at Sisko Dentistry can include radiographs, oral cancer screenings, evaluations for gum disease, and examinations of tooth decay and existing restorations. If you need restorative treatments our dentistry has several options available including dental implants, crowns and bridges, and composite tooth-colored fillings.
Consider Sealants, Which Are A Great Protective Treatment
Most dental decay begins in the deep grooves of teeth. Teeth with deep grooves can be difficult to clean correctly and are prone to cavities. Sealants are a thin plastic coating that is applied to the chewing surface of molars, premolars, and any deep grooves of teeth. Sealants protect the tooth by sealing deep grooves and creating a smooth, easier-to-clean surface. Sealants can protect teeth from decay for several years, but they need to be checked for wear and tear at regular dental visits. Proper dental care, a moderate diet, and regular dental visits will lengthen the duration of your new treatment.
Good oral health is important for everyone. Taking care of your teeth and gums through regular cleanings and exams, good habits, and appropriate dental treatments, will help ensure the best possible dental health. At Sisko Dentistry in Tallmadge, OH, we want to provide you with the best possible care to help you achieve and maintain a healthy and beautiful smile. With over 30 years of experience in cosmetic dentistry, restorative dentistry, general dentistry, and emergency dental care, we can help you determine which procedure is right for you. Call us today at 330-633-9510 to learn more.