If you’re wondering about the pros and cons of veneers vs. Invisalign, read on.
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are very thin shells made of porcelain or resin that are bonded to the surface of the teeth to reshape broken, misshapen or irregular teeth. Patients who feel self-conscious about teeth staining should know that veneers can be a solution for discolored teeth, especially in cases that do not respond to traditional whitening treatments. Veneers are well-tolerated by gum tissue and result in a natural-looking smile that is also resistant to future stains.
What Are The Benefits Of Veneers?
- Quick and easy: The total process for veneers can take approximately 3 visits to the dentist’s office. Your first appointment will be an initial consultation that will encompass general information and a discussion about your aesthetic goals. During the second appointment, the surface of the teeth is prepared for bonding. After injecting local anesthesia, your dentist will buff away approximately half a millimeter from the surface of the teeth. You’ll then bite into a mold that will be sent to a lab to create your custom veneers. When the veneers are ready, you’ll be asked to return to the dentist’s office. During your third and final visit, you will have your brand-new veneers fitted and customized to your teeth.
- Durable teeth whitener: Patients may use over-the-counter or professional teeth whitening treatments for temporary relief, but only through veneers can you achieve a lasting white for your smile. Veneers are also resistant to future stains.
- Long-term solution: Veneers are so effective in whitening and improving teeth that some of Hollywood’s biggest names have seen a cosmetic dentist for veneers.
What Are Things To Consider Before Getting Veneers?
- Only a visible treatment: Laminates do not help correct any oral health issues, teeth issues, or orthodontic issues. This treatment is only available to patients who want to improve the visual appearance of their smile.
- Multi-color teeth can happen: The color of dental veneers typically stays the same so long as a patient has them. However, natural teeth will naturally change color over time. For patients who only have one or a few veneers placed, the disparity in color between natural teeth and veneered teeth will become very noticeable. This may require a replacement of the veneer or whitening of the natural teeth.
- Not a permanent solution: Dental laminates are not designed to last forever. You can prolong their life span with good oral health and proper maintenance. Most patients will need to receive at least one replacement veneer at some point in their life.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a transparent alternative to braces. This procedure uses clear aligner trays that are worn at all hours except while eating, flossing, or brushing your teeth. The trays are customized to each patient’s teeth, making them particularly invisible when laughing and talking with other people. Patients receive a sequence of trays, each of which is slightly different than the one before. The aligners provide a slight resistance to the teeth, forcing them to move into alignment over time. Patients can achieve the smiles they’ve always wanted without feeling self-conscious about traditional metal braces.
What Are The Benefits Of Invisalign?
- Transparent & removable: Invisalign is a successful method of correcting orthodontic issues while being virtually invisible and unattached to teeth. These removable aligners allow patients to eat, brush and floss with comfort when compared to traditional braces. There is no need to change your diet to avoid foods that could damage your aligners, as you take them off before eating.
- Permanent results: Once your Invisalign treatment is finished, your results can stay permanent with proper maintenance. Be sure to wear your retainer as instructed, and visit your dentist for routine check-ups and twice-yearly cleaning.
- All-natural process: Patients are left with a visibly straighter and more aligned set of natural teeth once the procedure is over.
What Are Things To Consider Before Getting Invisalign?
- Longevity of the treatment: Depending on your ideal smile, the entire process to align your teeth with Invisalign can take years.
- A regimented procedure: During the process, you will wear your aligners 22 hours a day and visit the dental clinic for checkup appointments. If you do not use your aligners for the specified time each day, the treatment duration may be increased.
Which Is Right For Your Needs?
Dental veneers may be right for you if you are searching for an alternative to crowns and caps. Veneers can help you if you have certain gaps between your teeth or teeth that are broken, chipped, irregularly shaped, or misaligned. If you have crooked or crowded teeth that are embarrassing to you or otherwise preventing you from achieving your ideal smile, Invisalign could be the solution for you. If you are based in Tallmadge, OH, and ready for professional input about how veneers or Invisalign can improve your smile, consider Sisko Dentistry. Dr. Gerald Sisko has 30 years of experience, and together, the Sisko Dentistry team has 225+ years of experience to offer. Call 330-633-9510 to schedule an appointment today.