Invisalign® is an orthodontic appliance system used to inconspicuously treat crooked and crowded teeth in adults and teens. This modern take on braces features a system of clear aligner trays that are worn at all times with the exception of during meals and when brushing or flossing. The trays are custom fitted to the teeth, making them virtually unnoticeable when laughing, talking, and eating with other people. Patients receive a sequence of trays, each of which is slightly different than the one before. The aligners provide a slight resistance to the teeth, forcing them to move into alignment over time. With Invisalign®, adults and teens can achieve the smiles they’ve always wanted without feeling self-conscious about the mode of treatment.
In general dentistry, advancements in orthodontic solutions have paved the way for more discreet teeth-straightening methods. Invisalign, a set of clear aligners tailored to the patient’s teeth, offers a seamless alternative to traditional braces. At Sisko Dentistry in Tallmadge, our dedicated team understands the importance of an appealing smile combined with functionality.
Did you know…
wearing Invisalign® is in no way as restrictive as traditional braces? Many adults opt for this system not only because it is discreet, but also because there is no need to change your diet to avoid foods that could damage braces. This is because the Invisalign® system is free of braces and brackets, instead opting for a removable tray that can be taken out prior to meals. Also, Invisalign® fits well into busy adult schedules, as there is no need to attend frequent visits for wire tightening. Most patients simply change to a new aligner tray every couple of weeks.
Signs You Might Benefit from Invisalign
- Crowded teeth that overlap or bunch together
- Noticeable gaps between teeth
- Misaligned bite, including overbite, underbite, or crossbite
- Teeth that don’t sit comfortably or look uneven
- Previous orthodontic work that needs refinement
Why Choose Invisalign?
- Aesthetically Discreet: Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible, allowing patients to undergo treatment without the noticeable metal brackets and wires of traditional braces.
- Comfort and Convenience: Made from smooth plastic, Invisalign trays are comfortable and can be easily removed during meals or while brushing and flossing.
- Customized Treatment: Each Invisalign tray is custom-designed to move your teeth gradually, ensuring effective and efficient results tailored to your specific needs.
The Invisalign Journey
- Initial Consultation: The doctor will assess your teeth and determine if Invisalign is the right fit for you.
- Customized Plan: Using 3D imaging technology, a detailed plan will be crafted, showing the expected movement of your teeth at each stage.
- Receiving Your Aligners: Once your custom trays are ready, you’ll be instructed on how often to wear them, typically 20-22 hours a day, switching to a new set every 1-2 weeks.
- Regular Check-ups: Periodic appointments will be scheduled to monitor progress and make any necessary adjustments.
Invisalign Clear Aligners And How It Changes Patients Lives
Patients living with teeth that are crooked, misaligned, or crowded teeth often find it hard to smile confidently. However, the impact of these orthodontic concerns goes beyond simple aesthetics. These concerns can lead to the teeth experiencing uneven wear and tear and be the root cause of pain in the temporomandibular joint. Perhaps more pressingly, it can also render these individuals more susceptible to developing tooth decay. This is the result of the uneven nature of their smile, providing additional spaces for food debris and bacteria to hide. Effective dental hygiene becomes challenging due to toothbrush bristles having difficulty reaching these spaces and clearing them out effectively.
We use Invisalign to treat a range of conditions, including the following:
- Over and Underbite – This condition occurs when your upper or lower teeth extend over the other arch. This condition can cause joint pain, difficulty eating, and problems with speaking clearly.
- Crossbite – This term describes cases where the upper and lower teeth are out of alignment laterally, being out of alignment on a left/right access rather than a front/back axis. It contributes to bone loss, gum recession, and uneven wear of the teeth.
- Gapped Teeth – Gaps between your teeth can directly impact your bite and increase your likelihood of developing gum disease.
- Misaligned Teeth –When your tooth don’t grow straight, it can create a rough, angled appearance to your smile. Teeth can overlap each other, and in some cases, an entire tooth can be shoved in front of or behind its correct position.
Invisalign is an effective treatment method that is discreet, comfortable, and often faster than traditional approaches. When you decide to start this treatment, we’ll begin by getting high-precision digital impressions made of your smile. This will be sent to Invisalign, where they’ll create a series of plastic trays that you will wear for a period of a week at a time. Each tray makes adjustments that will lead to the beautiful, healthy, and straight smile you’ve been hoping for. You can remove them for eating, hygiene, or other purposes for up to 2 hours each day. You no longer have to make a choice between a beautiful smile and months of avoiding your favorite foods.
Preserving Your Smile
To achieve the most effective results from your Invisalign treatment, it’s crucial to ensure consistent wear of your aligners. Adhering to the recommended daily usage ensures that you remain on track, bringing you closer to your desired outcome within the expected timeframe. Parallelly, it’s imperative to maintain diligent oral hygiene. Regular cleaning of your aligners, combined with a consistent brushing and flossing routine, works as a proactive measure against potential dental issues during the treatment phase.
Moreover, a few lifestyle adjustments can enhance the experience. For instance, being mindful of consumption habits, like limiting the intake of staining beverages such as coffee or red wine, will help retain the transparency of the aligners. Additionally, while it’s optional, many find that utilizing the Invisalign Cleaning System is beneficial. Incorporating this into your care regimen can ensure that your aligners remain in prime condition throughout your orthodontic journey.
Upon the completion of Invisalign treatment, many patients are guided towards the use of a retainer. This ensures that the teeth steadfastly hold their newly acquired position, minimizing the risk of a relapse. With vigilant care and maintenance, the impressive results obtained from Invisalign can be enduring, granting patients the privilege of a radiant smile for years to come.
Moreover, the benefits of this orthodontic solution extend beyond mere aesthetics. Achieving straighter teeth with Invisalign frequently translates to enhanced overall oral health, diminishing potential issues tied to crowded or misaligned teeth. This, combined with the visible transformation, often fortifies an individual’s self-esteem, amplifying their confidence and comfort in showcasing their rejuvenated smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I a candidate for Invisalign®?
If you have crooked or crowded teeth that are embarrassing to you or otherwise preventing you from achieving optimal oral health, Invisalign® could be the solution for you. Visit your Invisalign® dentist for a complete consultation to find out if you could benefit from clear orthodontics.
What should I expect during my Invisalign® treatment?
You will wear your aligners nearly all of the time, with the exception of about two hours per day. Invisalign® treatments are different for everyone, but most patients can achieve their ideal smiles within one to two years. During that time, you can expect to make occasional dental visits to monitor your progress.
Will I need any post-treatment care?
Following your treatment, you will no longer need to wear Invisalign® trays. However, you will need to wear a retainer each day to help protect your new smile. It is also important to continue visiting your dentist for routine check-ups and twice-yearly cleaning.
What is the main difference between Invisalign and traditional braces?
Invisalign utilizes clear, removable aligners tailored to the patient’s teeth, offering a nearly invisible treatment option. In contrast, traditional braces use metal brackets and wires that are fixed onto the teeth.
How long does the Invisalign treatment typically take?
The duration of Invisalign treatment varies based on individual needs, but on average, most patients complete their treatment in 12 to 18 months. Regular consultations and following the doctor’s instructions can ensure efficient progress.
Can I eat and drink with my Invisalign aligners on?
It’s recommended to remove your Invisalign aligners when eating or drinking anything other than water. This helps avoid staining the aligners and ensures they maintain their clear appearance.
Reach Out To Sisko Dentistry To Start Your Invisalign Journey
If it’s finally time for you to obtain the beautiful, healthy smile you’ve always dreamed of, call Sisko Dentistry today at (330) 633-9510. We’ll schedule an appointment with Dr. Gerald Sisko or another member of our team. During your visit, they’ll complete a full dental exam and provide consultation on the effectiveness of Invisalign in treating cases like yours.